Follow Us
Webmail Register Contact Us Advertise With Us Home
Edu Guide Logo
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
Results Admissions Entrance Exams Schools Colleges Universities Distance Education Scholarships Time Tables Jobs Talent tests Career Courses Coaching centers Educational News Educational Resources Teachers Jobs Edu Events
Educational News
28,000 more Engineering seats added this year in AP

Hyderabad: Irrespective of present supply-side crisis in Engineering education, the total number of engineering seats in Andhra Pradesh has gone up to 3,48,000 for the academic year 2013-14, 28,000 more than the previous academic year. Out of these, the total number of seats at the government-run engineering colleges (i.e. university engineering colleges) was about 5,846 and the remaining of 3, 42,140 seats were with the 685 private institutions.

The available number of students to fill these seats is only 1.8 lakh.

A total of 70 % of the 3.42 seats in private colleges will go for convener quota and the remaining 30% can be filled up through Category-B i.e. management quota. All the seats in government colleges will naturally be filled up under convener quota only. Principal Secretary of Higher Education, Ajay Mishra released orders of increased intake in various colleges. While more than 440 colleges decided to continue with existing intake in various streams, the remaining ones have sought for slight increase- ranging from 60 to 180.

Despite a special request from the State cabinet, the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) has accorded permission for increase of seats. “The cabinet request is not binding on the central body. When a college has asked for increase of seats, they have to go by merit and no governmental request will come in the way” a senior official said. The total intake after withdrawal at the start of EAMCET schedule was 3, 19,708. It has now gone over 3.48 lakh. Interestingly, the number of seats available is much higher than the qualifiers. Out of a total of 2, 76,995 students who have appeared for the exam, 2, 01,308 students have qualified in the engineering stream. Out of this 2.01 lakh, nearly 20,000 students have already joined either in IITs or NITs or colleges outside Andhra Pradesh. So, an estimated 1.80 lakh have only remained for admission in AP colleges.

In all probability, a total of 1.60 lakh seats may remain vacant and even if some other students are given admission based on Intermediate marks, a total of 1.50 lakh will definitely remain unfilled. Meanwhile, only seven colleges have submitted proposals for taking NRI students in their colleges and all were granted approval.

The colleges are - CBIT, Srinidhi Institute of Science and Technology, G. Narayanamma Institute of Technology and Science, Shadan College of Engineering and Technology, Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology, Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering (Vizag) and Pulla Reddy Engineering College ( Kurnool).

Last Updated August 16 2013
Posted on August 16 2013
Our Clients
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
To Advertise Here
Contact +9140 66445656
© 2012 Edu Guide, All Rights Reserved.